As Massachusetts Massive Snow Storm Nears, Thoughts to What Comes Afterwards

Yesterday afternoon, the Governor declared a state of emergency and issued a travel ban for all non-priority travel. The specific sorts of individuals who are exempted from the ban can be found here. Generally speaking, the classes of those exempted include those who need critical medical care, emergency care personnel, and those clearing the roads.

The massive storm is expected to bring 1-3 inches of snow per hour, with an overall anticipated snowfall of 30-36 inches in some areas, including particularly Eastern Massachusetts. Blizzard-like conditions are expected, with heavy winds and perhaps flooding in coastal areas.

One of the largest concerns with major snow storm events like this one is the amount of property damage that can occur. Huge snowfall events can cause a lot of weight to be placed on roofs, awnings, and other areas. Additionally, the snow or wind can cause tree limbs to fall, causing damage to homes or vehicles. Additionally, in colder temperatures, there is the added threat of frozen pipes and the corresponding risk of pipes bursting, causing flooding within the home.

Once the snow storm passes, many property owners will likely be left having to interact with their homeowner’s insurance company in order to have their property repaired, or in some cases replaced.

If you do need to file a claim with your insurer, you’ll want to make sure that you do all of the following:

  • Notify your insurer immediately if you suspect you will file a claim, and what you are seeking to have fixed or replaced.
  • Take action to prevent further damage to your property. Also, keep track of any small repairs you make, or expenses you incur. Save receipts. For example, if you board up a window until it can be properly replaced.
  • Keep a list of all the damaged or destroyed property for which you are filing.
  • Show your insurer or adjuster any damaged property upon request. Do not dispose of any of the damaged property until the insurance company or adjuster explicitly tells you to do so.

Unfortunately, of the great number of homeowners who are likely to need coverage for their damaged property, many homeowners are likely to run into issues with exclusions under their policies. For example, damage due to flooding is commonly not covered by typical insurance policies. Therefore, if you feel that your insurance company is not offering a fair amount for damaged property, or is claiming that it is not obligated to pay at all, you have a few options.

If your policy lists it as an option, you can request an appraisal, which is typically a method of resolving the issue of the amount of loss when an agreement cannot be reached. Alternatively, a complaint can be filed with the Massachusetts Division of Insurance.

However, the most comprehensive step towards getting your claims taken care of is by hiring a Massachusetts real estate lawyer to handle the dispute for you. A real estate attorney can give you a better sense of the potential outcome of your case and can inform you of the options at your avail.

If you need a Massachusetts real estate lawyer to represent your interests, whatever they may be, contact the experienced real estate lawyers at Pulgini & Norton. We will work to overcome hurdles and protect your interests while aiming toward a timely closing or resolution of your matter. We have represented clients in Brookline, Lowell, and Malden, among many other Massachusetts communities. Contact us today by phone at 781-843-2200 or contact us online for a consultation.

More Blog Posts:
Courts Recognize Importance of Lawyer Involvement in Real Estate Transactions; Massachusetts Attorneys Required in Closings, Massachusetts Real Estate Lawyer Blog, published January 20, 2015

Massachusetts Mortgage Laws and Avoiding Foreclosure, Massachusetts Real Estate Lawyer Blog, published January 13, 2015

Contact Information